So, what’s this self-proclamation all about?
I found myself currently inspired by local writers such as Lydia Teh, Karim Raslan, Dina Zaman and of course, my all-time favourite Adibah Amin… It used to be Enid Blyton, Sidney Sheldon and John Grisham. Does this mean that as I grow older, I learn to appreciate and keep in touch with my root more? I don’t know – I still sound stupid when I speak Bahasa :o) - but one thing for sure, now, I always find myself sitting in front of this faithful computer and… write! This is my calling. It sure feels good to be able to talk about your personal experience or express your view on a particular issue without being scrutinized by the others ( well, not at the time being ). Sometimes, when ideas struck, I found myself rushing to my office cubicle cum sanctuary, much to the amazement and amusement of the other colleagues.
A conversation with another friend ( my partner-in-crime ) over scrumptious dinner at Chao Pha Ra Ya restaurant resulted in this Life is… blog. Of course, I was once involved in the production of Effective Essay Writings for PMR, but that does not count! ( Until now I still wonder how on earth could we produce that particular book with all the clubbing and hectic life style? )
Anyway, my first honest-to-goodness piece was written at the lowest point of my life late last year, as I waited for the bus that would ferry me from JB to KL. I recall sitting in a run-down fast food restaurant, facing a greasy fried chicken meal, trying so hard to control my tears – never had I felt so alone at that time. Life was a real mess; my faith in God prevented me from attempting anything stupid. It was then I took out my Pirates-of-the-Caribbean note book, and started writing. Amidst the tears and laughters ( that followed soon ), a writer was born ( hahaha ).
The much-hype Honk! If You’re Malaysian by Lydia Teh resulted in me purchasing books by the local writers and – I was glued ever since. Her entries were entertaining, amusing, witty - something that you can relate to! I browsed her blog and discovered the ‘How Malaysian Are You’ quiz. ( Idd, I’ll e-meow you and tell you all about my kick-cock shoe later*, okay … )
Karim Raslan’s Ceritalah and Ceritalah Lagi might be someone else’s cup of tea ( though I have to admit that he’s one hell of good looking guy ) – he might be a Mr. Espresso, too deep to fathom here.
Dina Zaman’s I am Muslim shows me that kohl-lined eyes and bigger-than-big serban do not make one a better Muslim – Remember the
Reading the above-mentioned books remind me of a name that has been around for as far as I can remember – the one and only Adibah Amin! Most of us grew up reading her As I Was Passing ( other than listening to Back Street Boys! ) during preps – where you opted to go to the library so that you could read story books ( and ended up sleeping in the magazine section )!
How could one ever forget her?
She let us wander through her own recollections and open up a bigger world to an otherwise kampong girl like me. Forget
Anyway, if Adibah Amin can do it, why can’t we? And what happened to my first honest-to-goodness piece? It was too honest to be uploaded in this blog. Someday, when I can finally laugh over what had actually happened, I would post it but until then.. let it remains a mystery. Though my language ( as another friend commented ) may suit a group of teenagers more than adults, I would continue writing and blogging … until I find another calling! ( Being the next Elizabeth Taylor?!! )
* I had a bad fall last Sunday due to my kick-cock shoe and decided not to continue with my intention of going to PWTC. Sorry, kids!
* kick-cock shoe: Ever worn a pair of high heels before and noticed the sound produced? Hence, kick-cock shoe….. Thanks,
1 comment:
Hi! Having readers like you is a writer's dream come true. I loved Adibah's As I was Passing too. Karim Raslan's Cerita-la is a bit too deep for me :) but he's so leng chai.
Next time be careful when you're wearing your kick-kok-shoe.
Post a Comment